Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Twas The Night Before Christmas...


Christmas traditions are a wonderful thing. I think every family has a Christmas tradition whether they realize it or not. I know my family does! I have read some other posts about Christmas traditions and Christmas memories, so in order not to feel left out, let me share ours with you now!

Every Christmas Eve for as long as I can remember, we have had our own private "candlelight service" before heading off to bed. Both my parents grew up with a Christmas Eve candlelight service, so they have carried on that tradition with us. We gather candles from all around the house (mostly my room!), set them in various places around the living room, and light them. We then turn off all the lights in the house except for the Christmas tree lights. My Dad sits down at the piano, pulls out our old hymnbook and we sing Christmas carols together in the flickering candlelight. Our last carol is always "Silent Night". It is so neat to just sit there in our cozy livingroom, gathered together as a family in the quiet of the evening, and to just sing together! Especially when we sing "Silent Night" when everything is truly silent all around us, the words of the song take on new meaning. After we are done singing, my Dad reads the Christmas story from Luke 2 and Matthew 1.

As I sat there tonight listening to the familar Christmas story, I was gazing at all the flickering candles surrounding me. Every year this thought enters my mind during this special time. Jesus came to earth to be the Light of the world. Without Him, we would still all be in darkness. What amazing love God had (and has!) for each and every one of us to send His only begotten Son to be the sacrifice for our sins!

After the Christmas story is over, we then go around the room and blow out all the candles. When we were younger, it was always a contest to see who could blow out the most candles. :)

This is just something really special we do every Christmas Eve. I remember last year we were going to be at my grandparent's for Christmas Eve. So instead of having our special "candlelight service" on Christmas Eve, we had it on the eve of Christmas Eve. ;) That night I was at my Sunday School's Christmas party, and I didn't stay very long because I wanted to make sure we had enough time to have our special service.

It just wouldn't be Christmas without it!

No comments: